Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Air Bender & Water Splendor

I won't say that these kids are fearless, but I will say they are definitely not afraid of the diving board :)

I remember when I was growing up, the diving board was the last test of bravery at the pool. However, watching Max, Brenna & Lucy, you'd believe launching into the air and splashing into the deepest part of the pool is really NBD (no big deal). The kids spent their day high-flying off the spring-loaded platform, and it was nothing short of good ol' fashioned, technology-free ('cept for the camera) fun! Brenna lead the courageous charge forward with her flips and kicks.
Lucy had some incredible leaps that seemed to mirror her life's axiom... freedom.
Max had us cracking up with his cartoon-like sprints off the diving board.
But the undisputed diving champion of the day was Kev! His flawless one-and-a-half rotation flips were unbelievable and something I think even an olympian would have to respect.
I had some good jumps, too, but my most memorable splash of the day came while trying to perfect my own one-and-a-half spinner. I broke out of the flip a little too late, and the sound of my body slapping the water was one that made everyone in the area go, "oooooooooo" and make that scrunched up, "I know that had to hurt" -face... you know the one. You can see the moment just before impact below.
I know some people just aren't fans of living in a place with an endless summer, but if you ask these kids (even the grown ones), they'd admit we could definitely do this all year long. Nothing's more honest than a smile on a child :)

1 comment:

Julie Catoe said...

I loved watching all of you going off the diving board. You and Kev had some pretty amazing flips,dives and jumps. The kids loved having you 2 jumping with them it was really fun to watch. They each had their personalities in their jumps it was really cool. All I know is that you and Kev are the greatest diving board experts at the Hiccup pool.